Hello my bookish friends! Is it too late for a 2023 most anticipated releases post? Yes? Well too darn bad. I didn’t do one for last year and I can’t recall why, so I’m picking up the slack and doing one now! Also because I want to see which of the books on this list I’ll actually manage to read before the end of the year…
My goal this year is to read 50 books, and so far this list consists of 28 books. I could get more than 50% of my goal done just be reading new releases! I probably won’t though. So some of the books in this post have already come out. Some of these I’ve even already read… But I’m still going to mention them, because maybe they weren’t on your radar yet! So here are my 2023 most anticipated releases.. 2023 most anticipated releases
- Emily Wilde’s Encyclopeadia of Faeries by Heather Fawcett – I’ve seen this one making the rounds on Bookstagram already, and I just loveee the cover. But it also sounds like a tremendously cute fantasy story, so I’ll be sure to pick it up!
- Mysteries of Thorn Manor by Margaret Rogerson – I am forever sad that this is not a full size novel, because if there ever was a world that needed more books, it was the world of Sorcery of Thorns. Alas, I will have to settle for a novella instead (that I’ll likely devour in half a day).
- Chain of Thorns by Cassandra Clare – I don’t really think I have to explain this one.
- Song of Silver, Flame like Night by Amelie Wen Zhao – I loved the description, so I’ll def be picking it up. Also love the secret/forbidden powers trope.
- The Stolen Heir by Holly Black – I have actually already read this one last year because apparently book stores here don’t know what release dates are, and neither do I, I AM SORRY. But I did love it; review to come.
- Hell Bent by Leigh Bardugo – Also read this one already! Genuinely enjoyed it and thought it was better than Ninth House. Although I expect opinions to be divided on that.
- These Infinite Threads by Tahereh Mafi – This Woven Kingdom was one of my favs last year and I feel like it’s not as popular? Could be just me though. Either way I’m excited for it!
- The Adventures of Amina al-Sirafi by S.A. Chakraborty – Literally don’t even remember what this is about, but I want it. Here’s to hoping it’ll be on the same level as the Daevabad Trilogy.
- A Day of Fallen Night by Samantha Shannon – I actually thought that prequels were supposed to be novella sized, but this book is 880 pages. That’s a lot. That’s bigger than Priory, even. Can’t wait to get my hands on this murder weapon though.
- The Foxglove King by Hannah Whitten – Just the one for this month, but I’ve heard really good things about this author. I haven’t read her other books yet, but I want to. Either way I’m putting this one on the list because it has all my favorite things: girl on the run, weird magic, messy love interests, and a “fix it or die” mystery.
- Gold by Raven Kennedy – There’s not even a cover for this one yet, but I’m sure it’ll be great! I haven’t yet caught up with this series, but so far I’m really liking it and I think six months is a reasonable amount of time to catch up before this book comes out.
- A Soul of Ash and Blood by Jennifer L. Armentrout – This is the first book of the Ash and Blood series but from Hawke’s perspective. Can’t wait to read how he absolutely murders the shit out of Duke whatshisface.
- Light Bringer by Pierce Brown – No I have not yet read Dark Age because I’m too scared. But I guess I’ll have to bite the bullet if I want to read this book.
- Immortal Longings by Chloe Gong – Just like with Chakraborty’s book I have no clue what this one’s actually about. I just saw “Chloe Gong” and immediately added it to my TBR.
- The Brothers Hawthorne by Jennifer Lynn Barnes – A while back I lived and breathed The Inheritance Games and when this book comes out I will be just as obsessed. Watch me change my whole aesthetic to fit this book.
- The Midnight Kingdom by Tara Sim – I’m a little ambivalent toward The City of Dusk, but the ending intrigues me enough to want to try this book out. I do think I’ll like it more based on the fact that the characters got sent to different realms.
- Foxglove by Adalyn Grace – Isn’t this just the most amazing cover? I’m excited for this book to come out.
- Never a Hero by Vanessa Len – I really enjoyed this book when I read it last year and absolutely need more Joan x Aaron content.
- A Tempest of Tea by Hafsah Faizal – Getting far enough into the year that most books don’t have covers yet, so I am using these homemade placeholders instead. Anyway, I saw the words “outcasts” and “heist” and added it to my TBR.
- The Scarlet Veil by Shelby Mahurin – This book will focus on Célie, and considering she grew on me a lot in the last Serpent & Dove novel I am excited for this book.
- A Curse of True Love by Stephanie Garber – Remember when we all thought that TBONA was gonna be the final book in the series?? What a time. Both excited and scared for this book. Scarited? Excared??? Why can’t these words be combined?
- Foul Heart Huntsman by Chloe Gong – Not sure how one can not be excited for this after how Foul Lady Fortune ended. Also look at the cover!!
- The Fragile Threads of Power by V.E. Schwab – I am so excited to return to all the different Londons. I’m actually going to V.E. Schwab’s tour in October! Very excited for that, as it will also come with the book.
- A Study in Drowning by Ava Reid – This sounds like the perfect dark academia book to read this Fall, so I’m keen to read it as soon as possible.
- Fall or Wrath and Ruin by Jennifer L. Armentrout – I actually thought for some reason this was a sequel to an existing series, but it is not. It’s a whole new series! And one that sounds super fun.
- A Fire in the Flash by Jennifer L. Armentrout – JLA is on a roll this year, because this is like the third book she’ll publish in 2023? Wild. I haven’t even read A Light in the Flame yet.
- Threads of Power by V.E. Schwab – This is set in the same world as A Darker Shade of Magic so on the TBR it goes.
- Two Twisted Crowns by Rachel Gillig – MY FAV<3
- Sword Catcher by Cassandra Clare – I’m excited for this one but at the same time also scared that it’ll be a bit like Holly Black’s attempt at writing adult fiction… A wee bit underwhelming. (I have decided to settle on “excared”)
- Throne of the Fallen by Kerri Maniscalco – I am not feeling this cover at all, but I am excited for the story.
- Defiant by Brandon Sanderson – I only just finished Cytonic (finally) and am now really excited to read Defiant! I’m glad this time I don’t have to wait ages between these books, because I started this series back in 2019. Actually, four books over four years is pretty normal. BUT, it felt longer!!
- A Touch of Chaos by Scarlett St. Clair – To be completely honest, I found A Touch of Malice to be quite meh. But, I obviously still want to know how the story ends! (is this the last book? I’m actually not sure)
- Bookshops & Bonedust by Travis Baldree – I read Legends & Latte’s last year and it was adorable. Am very excited to read another cozy fantasy.
- Iron Flame by Rebecca Yarros – I don’t think I have to explain this one.
- The Ashfire King by Chelsea Abdullah – I really enjoyed The Stardust Thief and that ending was slightly bad for my heart, so I’m super excited for this book!